It is one of the most remembered landmarks of Munnar – the more-than-a-century-old black basalt church in town. It is memorable for its antique furniture, chandeliers, brass plaques and the 14 rosewood pews. The plaques were built in memory of influential tea planters of yester years.
The church was formally consecrated on 15 April 1900, on Easter Day. The church was sanctified in 1910.
In 1894, Mrs Eleanor Knight, wife of H.M Knight, the General Manager of the plantation was buried in this church's cemetery. Many other Britons were also buried here thereafter.
When the British left Munnar, they transferred it to the CSI North Kerala Diocese in 1981. About 1,000 Tamil families are members of the church and it also supports 18 outstation churches.